Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish, similar to an omelette, and is usually enriched with additional ingredients like meats and vegetables. Borrowed from the Italian dish described, Plantain Frittata is a Plantain and egg dish which is made by cooking fried plantains and eggs.
It is also called Nigerian Pizza by some because it turns out just like it. Plantain Frittata can be made in two ways; either on the stove top /gas and the other method in the oven. However, I would be describing the former.
1 tea spoon of dry pepper(ata gungun)
1 medium sized onion
Half tea spoon of curry and thyme
One stock cube (Maggi)
Salt to taste
3 medium sized ripe plantain (not overripe though)
3 medium sized tomatoes
2 red ball peppers
2 green peppers (for garnishing hence optional)
Minced meat or sausage (Optional)
- Peel and dice plantain into tiny round shapes and sprinkle with salt.
- Fry plantain till golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of oil. Sauté onions, garlic till fragrant and translucent. Add the the chopped red and green peppers and stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Whisk eggs in another bowl. Add the contents of the frying pan into the bowl of eggs and stir to combine
- Place an empty frying pan on the gas. Coat the pan with melted butter or vegetable oil.
- Pour the egg mixture or the filling into the coated pan on fire and level it . (This will serve as the base).
- Then Arrange the fried plantain round the pan until it takes the shape of the pan .
- Add few bell peppers stripes for a pop of colour , cover the lid and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes until it begins to set and cake nicely.😊
• Take it off the heat once it has set.
Your plantain and egg frittata is ready for breakfast😉 🍲🍕. Serve this recipe with fruit juice. The plantain frittata is perfect not only for breakfast, but can be taken as a snack too. Enjoy!