For most of us, our potato recipes are limited to just boiling, frying or mashing. Fortunately, today we’ll be looking at a potato recipe called Potato Stir-fry, also known as ‘Golden Skillet Potatoes‘
Now, skillet potatoes/potato stir-fry is simply potatoes and bacon cooked in a skillet (frying pan) as opposed to cooking in an oven. I particularly love this dish because it is very filling and it can be eaten as a full meal without requiring any side-dish.
Now, if you do not eat pork (bacon), then feel free to do without it or replace with beef or even fish strips. I’ll be using beef in this recipe.
This Recipe serves 3:
- 🥔5 Big Potatoes (Irish)
- 🥩200g beef, ( boiled and then diced or vice-versa😉 )
- 🌶️1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper (for a pop of colour)
- 🍶Vegetable Oil
- 🧅1 Small Onion
- 1 Teaspoon ground pepper
- 🧄3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 Knorr Chicken cubes
- Salt to Taste
- Start by washing, peeling, then chopping your potatoes into small cubes
- Set a skillet (or a frying pan) on medium heat. Heat some vegetable oil in it and transfer your chopped and boiled beef into the pan. Fry till fully cooked then remove the beef from the pan.
NB: On Skillets vs Frying pans: they are almost the same thing except that skillets are mostly made of cast irons, are heavier with sloppy sides and have lids unlike frying pans which are more common in most household kitchens.
Skillets and frying pans can perform the same functions. However, If you want your meats and veggies to cook evenly, a skillet will be a better option.
3. Add your potatoes into the Oil. Make sure your pan is large enough to accommodate the potatoes without them overlapping (if you are using a smaller pan, you’ll have to fry it in batches).
Leave the Potatoes to fry without moving them around for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to brown underneath. Then you can toss them around for even cooking.
- When the potatoes begin to soften and get brown, add the Knorr Chicken, Pepper, Thyme and Salt to taste.
Stir and combine and continue to cook till almost soft. By “almost soft”, I mean soft but when you bite through, the potatoes still have a bit of crunch to them.
- Now, add the onions, garlic and ginger, stir and then, add the chopped peppers, stir and combine.
- Lastly, add the cooked bacon back into the Pan, stir to mix and fry till the potatoes become fully soft…
Drain (if there is excess oil) and serve. It’s perfect for breakfast or any other meal of the day😋😋.
That’s all for today!💃🏼💃🏼
How about trying this recipe this month 😉 or when next you buy some potatoes?😁
Have a nice day foodies! See you next time.