INAUGURAL SPEECH DELIVERED BY KOLADE J., ADEGOKE, 44TH PRESIDENT OF IFUMSA ON THE OCCASION OF THE SWEARING-IN OF THE 44TH SET OF EXECUTIVES
1. [Protocol] The Provost, College of Health Sciences, Professor B.A Kolawole, the Dean, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, Professor O. Sowande, Our Patrons, Staff Advisers, my fellow IFUMAsites, Ladies and Gentlemen.
2. I stand here today humbled by the task before us, grateful for the trust you have bestowed, mindful of the sacrifices borne by our forebears, and more than ever, I’m strengthened by the hope of what we will do together. I thank President Lolu AKINTEYE for his service to our Association and for his generosity and cooperation throughout this transition.
3. Today’s ceremony, however, has a very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, but we are giving it back to you, IFUMSAites. We observe today not as my victory but as a celebration of freedom. We bear witness to the promise of our democracy and affirm the enduring strengths of our constitution.
4. We have lived our forebears’ vision when they founded this noble body in September 1972. Since then, we have witnessed remarkable gains amidst pains. We have lived through the rising tides of peace and the raging storm of crisis. Yet we have prevailed, together.
5. The time is here. We pledge to work not to divide but to unify ALL IFUMSAites. We pledge to work with all our hearts, to win the confidence of everyone for this is what our Association is about: ALL IFUMSAites! And this is what our administration will be about. We pledge to take this association steps higher. To satisfy IFUMSAites’ interest and meet the needs of IFUMSAites. To make IFUMSA respected around the Region and in the Nation.
6. In our half-Century years of existence, Only a few periods have been more challenging than the one we are currently experiencing. Just two years ago, COVID-19 Pandemic stalled our academics, resulting in unprecedented disruption to what we have been used to. Today, September 9, 2022, marks 207 days since the gates of federal universities across the country were shut due to an industrial action embarked on by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU). While we hope this is resolved soon, we cannot deny the effects this has had on our everyday lives. As always, against the odds, we shall prevail!
7. So be ready. Be ready to dream. Be ready to grow. Be ready to stretch. This administration is set on you achieving your wildest imagination. Set your mind on growth because we are enablers of growth. Prepare to run the race of capacity building.
8. Do not allow anyone to tell you that it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight, and spirit of IFUMSAites. I say this with your support and cooperation: we will not fail. Our Association will thrive and prosper again.
9. To those who still have doubts, I appeal to you to ignore your reservations about IFUMSA and approach us with a different mindset; see us as a team of servants who are here to work for you, to work with you, to ensure your growth, and to build your capacity.
10. Together, we will determine the course of IFUMSA for the next one year. We will face challenges and confront hardships, but we will get the job done. So, this is for you. While the mantle has been passed down, the mantra remains the same: IFUMSA for ALL IFUMSAites, IFUMSA by ALL IFUMSAites, and IFUMSA with ALL IFUMSAites, IFUMSA-Cracy!
11. Welcome to a new dispensation!
12. Thank you. God bless you, and God bless this noble Association.